Dharavi Sports Complex
While the infrastructure development remains of paramount significance, MMRDA considers encouragement to creating sporting culture makes it a total development.
The Dharavi Sports Complex (DSC), MMRDA initiative, situated between ONGC complex and Dharavi Bus Depot, has been built over a 12,430 square meters of plot with the main structure enjoying 6,645 square meters.
Facilities available in DSC are -
- Table Tennis
- Sophisticated Gymnasium
There are grounds available for Kabaddi and Kho-Kho along with courts for Basket Ball and Volley Ball. The swimming pool of semi-Olympic size of 25 x 25 meters and another for learners admeasuring 12.5 x 12.5 meters is the center of attraction.
Besides these facilities, the complex also offers 200 and 100 meter running tracks, a spectator gallery with capacity of about 300 people, an auditorium that can accommodate more than 300 people, a conference room, a library, separate dormitories for men and women, stores, bank, ATM, guest rooms, changing rooms and a cafeteria.
Details of Project
1) The Government of Maharashtra by it's memorandum dated 6/10/1983, had granted permission to the MMRDA to take up the development in the 'G' & 'H' blocks of the Bandra Kurla Complex.
Accordingly, land admeasuring 12,427.00 M2 in 'H' Block was reserved for residential use in the planning proposals at BKC which was taken possession by the MMRDA from the Government in Revenue and Forest Department on 27/7/1984.
2) The State Government vide it's notification dated 23/01/1998 approved the modification for use of the land under reference to be charged from "Residential to Sports Complex". The land under reference falls in 'H block of BKC adjacent to the Dharavi BEST Depot where MMRDA was the Special Planning Authority.
3) The item to develop Sport Complex on plot bearing CTS No.531 in 'H' Block, Dharavi was approved in 97th Authority Meeting held on 14/02/2000.
4) In the Executive Committee's in it's 193rd Meeting held on 31/7/2001, it was decided that work shall be executed by MMRDA being sound financial capacity.
5) Vide decision of Govt. of Maharashtra after completion of project it is to be handed over to district sports and youth welfare department of Govt. of Maharashtra for further maintenance and operation.
6) The area of plot is 12427 sq.mtr.
7) Initially MMRDA was a Special Planning Authority for Dharavi Sport Complex, therefore, initial commencement certificate upto plinth was issued by Hon'ble Metropolitan Commissioner on 19/06/2009.
8) By Governments notification dt. 25/06/2009 the said area included in Dharavi redevelopment plan and DRP (MHADA) is appointed as a Special Planning Authority.
The project in all respect is completed. After obtaining the Occupation Certificates from DRP (MMRDA) the same is handed over to Districts Sports Authority for its's maintenance & operation.